Consumer Loan Underwriter - Columbus
Company: Synovus Financial Corp.
Posted on: April 18, 2019
Learns to evaluate loan applications in accordance with
regulations, industry standards and Synovus policy. May perform
duties using automated scoring systems or traditional underwriting,
as needed. Gathers additional applicant information needed to
recommend sound decisions. May interview applicants by phone and
submit loan applications. Responds to internal and external
customer inquiries as necessary.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
* Begins receiving and processing the least complex consumer loan
requests (including HELOC and other consumer-purpose home mortgage
products) from new originations, renewals, and the refinancing and
modification of existing loans.
* Handles inbound calls from Call Centers or warm hand-offs from a
branch to assist customers with applying for a loan. Assesses
customer needs and promotes appropriate lending products.
Establishes rapport with customers and identifies cross-selling
* Interviews applicants to develop information concerning their
loan needs, earnings and financial condition. Completes and submits
web-based data capture form.
* Works toward becoming a subject matter expert on consumer lending
processes, policies and products for internal and external
* Adheres to established loan policies and procedures. Works within
documented approval process to ensure that underwriting and credit
quality standards are maintained. Resolves exceptions and
non-standard underwriting issues.
* Learns to recognize override opportunities and escalates to Team
Lead or other appropriate reviewer in accordance with the
escalation procedure. Obtains approvals on loan applications,
pricing and policy exceptions that are beyond the organization's
* Ensures compliance with all consumer regulations, including fair
lending, and ensures loan policy limits are observed on all loans
processed. Stays abreast of variations in laws across state
* Protects the assets of the bank by aggressively managing credit
quality and minimizing losses.
* Conducts income verification. Conducts outbound approval and
declination calls. Communicates underwriting results and approval
recommendations to front-line lenders. Collaborates with lender to
obtain proper documentation for loan approval.
* Maintains accurate, timely, and orderly records and files of
completed work and work -in-progress. Forwards decisioned loan
applications to processing team.
* All loan processing and review will be conducted in a timely,
efficient manner in accordance with service level agreements for
the Retail Lending Center.
* Each team member is expected to be aware of risk within their
functional area. This includes observing all policies, procedures,
laws, regulations and risk limits specific to their role.
Additionally, they should raise and report known or suspected
violations to the appropriate Company authority in a timely
* Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate
the general nature and level of work performed by employees within
this classification. It is not designed to contain or be
interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties,
responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned
to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in
the workplace. Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree in Business
Administration, Finance, Accounting, or related field, or an
equivalent combination of education and experience
Minimum Experience: One (1) to two (2) years job-related
Certification(s): This position requires successful registration
and issuance of a unique identification number from the Nationwide
Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS) in compliance with the Secure and
Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 (SAFE ACT).
Registration must be accomplished within 30 days of employment and
includes a nationwide finger print check.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
* Exposure to consumer lending concepts, practices and
* Ability to understand and interpret Synovus loan policy
* Some knowledge of federal and state laws, rules, and regulations
governing consumer lending
* Basic knowledge of consumer loan products
* Ability to gather information and provide appropriate answers to
* Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word and Excel
* Demonstrated customer service skills with the ability to meet
service level agreements on a daily basis
* Ability to use work flow tool
* Good oral and written communication skills
Keywords: Synovus Financial Corp., Columbus , Consumer Loan Underwriter - Columbus, Other , Columbus, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!