Tax Examiner 1 - Columbus Regional Office
Company: State of Georgia
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Tax Examiner 1
This announcement is open to the public.
Why join the team?
At the Georgia Department of Revenue, our mission is to
administer the tax laws of the state of Georgia fairly and
efficiently in order to promote public confidence and compliance
while providing excellent customer service. If you would like to
help us build on our vision of maintaining a highly motivated and
well-trained workforce who proudly serves the Georgia residents and
business owners, this is your chance to shine!
What we offer:
- An environment of encouragement and professional growth.
- A chance to make a difference by being a part of a driven and
- A comprehensive benefits package including paid sick/annual
leave, and competitive compensation.
- Verifying Alcohol & Tobacco and other business-related tax
types, checking forms to verify taxpayer data, and ensuring that
supporting documentation is correctly computed and complete
- Collecting taxes from individuals or businesses according to
prescribed laws and regulations.
- Conferring with taxpayers or their representatives to discuss
or explain issues, laws, and regulations involved in
- Resolving related problems, creating, updating, auditing,
and/or maintaining records, documents, and databases with taxpayer
information, examining and processing tax documents within area of
assignment to ensure information is timely, accurate and
- May coordinate with outside units or Departmental authorities
to ensure accurate assessment, adjustment, and crediting of
- May determine appropriate methods of debt settlement in
compliance with statutory provisions.
- Monitors claims, requests, returns and payments to ensure
timely processing and compliance with agency, state, and federal
laws, performs computer research or basic investigation to gather
additional data and ensure compliance with applicable
- Daily task will require work in GA DOR's Integrated Tax System
- Daily tasks will require use of telephone and periodic use of
an automated call distribution system (InContact).
- Environment is set on meeting daily production standards that
range depending on tax type and complexity.
What qualifications are required?
Associates degree in accounting, bookkeeping or related area
from an accredited college or university
One year of related experience
- Teamwork and Cooperation: Demonstrated ability to promote and
work in a team atmosphere, be inclusive of all team members, and
work well with co-workers & leadership
- Judgment and Decision Making: Demonstrated ability to weigh the
needs of the taxpayers and the department to decide the best course
of action for all parties
- Accountability: Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility
for one's actions with honesty and integrity, while maintaining
credibility and remaining committed to organizational success
- Customer Service: Demonstrated ability to appropriately address
internal & external customer issues while respecting business needs
Good verbal and written communication skills
- Results Orientation: Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines to
achieve performance goals, while focused on efficient & effective
- Communication Skills: Ability to communicate clearly,
effectively, and accurately to convey and ensure the message is
- Ability to read and interpret laws, policies, rules, and
regulations pertaining to alcoholic beverages and tobacco products
and related enforcement/compliance activities
- Extensive knowledge and interpretation of tax laws
- Two-year customer service experience
- Experience working with DOR Integrated Tax System
- Accounting or bookkeeping experience
- The ability to research and make work adjustments based on
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in business, preferably
accounting, finance, or economics
Position Statas: Unclassified
Pay Grade: F
Expected salary: $30,000
Location: Columbus Regional Office 1501 13th Street Columbus, GA
State Personnel Board Rules for current State Employees
478-1-.15 Changes to Employment Status
All selected applicants for Department of Revenue positions are
subject to a State of Georgia tax records check and a criminal
background investigation before final approval to begin work.
Additional background processes may be in place for some positions,
such as law enforcement. In addition, the highest level of
education indicated on your Team Georgia Careers Profile will be
If you need an accommodation due to disability for any part of
the employment process, please contact Human Resources Office at
Due to the large volume of applications received by this office,
only applicants selected for interview will be notified for final
applicant selection. Human Resources maintains the discretion to
close the job announcement prior to the closing date if a
significant number of applications are received.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Department of Revenue is an Equal Opportunity Employer and
does not discriminate on the basis of color, race, national origin,
age, sex, religion, or disability. This policy statement applies to
all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited
to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation,
training, and termination.
Associate's degree in accounting, bookkeeping or related area
from an accredited college or university OR One year of related
Keywords: State of Georgia, Columbus , Tax Examiner 1 - Columbus Regional Office, Other , Columbus, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!